It is currently 23.10.14 17:06:26

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: FAQ
PostPosted: 10.05.11 14:50:04 
Site Admin

This section contains some of the most frequently asked questions. If you miss something, just send me a message.

General

Q100: Where can I get Tampermonkey (TM)?

A100: There are different versions of TM.

• Tampermonkey: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo
    This is the version that a user of Google Chrome or Chromium 19 or greater should use. TM stable is updated when the features that are added to the beta version turn out to be stable enough.
  • Tampermonkey Beta: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gcalenpjmijncebpfijmoaglllgpjagf
    This is more or less a developer version. New features are added regularly, but because of the fact that they are brand-new, TM Beta might (and most probably will) contain bugs!
  • Tampermonkey Legacy: http://tampermonkey.net/crx/tm_legacy.crx
    All Google Chrome Webstore extensions are forced to use manifest version 2, because version 1 is deprected now. Although it is still supported some time, TM already is uses the newer version. Unfortunately some browsers like CoolNovo that are based on Chromium 17 can not handle this format. Another deprecated item is the chrome.extension.onRequest API. It was replaced by chrome.extension.onMessage that is unsupported by Chromium 18.
    In order to support version 17 and 18 this legacy version was created.
  • Tampermonkey Retro: http://tampermonkey.net/crx/tampermonkey_retro.crx
    This is one of the first stable versions of TM (1.1.2190). It is very ancient, so you really don't want to use it. Also there is NO support for this version!

Q101: How do I work with TM?

A101: TM consist of 4 different parts:
  • the button
    A mouse clicks opens the context menu, a right mouse click opens the alternative context menu created by chrome itself
  • the context menu
    The context menu show what scripts are currently running. You can enable or disable then by clicking at the green/red LED icon.
    Additionally there are some extra links to the TamperFire page (if enabled at the options), a forced scripts update check and a button to easily donate some dollars or euros for my extraordinary work. ;)
  • the options page
    You can open this at the alternative context menu by clicking at options. The first tab shows all installed scripts. Click at the icon at the table to perform some actions like moving, editing and deleting a script.
    The second tab allows you to modify TM's settings. You can also enable some disabled features like TamperFire.
    The third tab offers script import and export functionality. For your first experiments use the "Export to document" and "Open File" Buttons and follow the displayed instructions. The "SandboxFS" is a folder of you chrome's profile folder. Use this button only to backup your scripts locally. The Textarey can be used to backup or restore some data manually.
  • the TamperFire page
    This one is only viewable if TamperFire is enabled. You can open it by clicking at the first entry of the context menu ("x scripts available"). The "Available Userscripts" tab can be used to search for userscripts for manually entered URLs. The settings tab displays some information about the TamperFire database and allows forced updates.

Q102: How to install new scripts to Tampermonkey?

A102:There are 3 different ways to achieve this:
  • Goto userscripts.org, search for a script open the scripts page and click at the install button.
  • Goto TMs options page and click at the "edit" column of the "<New script>" Item. Enter the source and save it.
  • Goto Chromes extensions page, enable the "Allow access to file URLs" checkbox at the Tampermonkey item. After this create a file with the file ending ".tamper.js" and drag-and-drop it to Chrome.

Q103: Is it possible to overwrite or extend a scripts includes and/or excludes? How is this working?

A103:

Sure, just go to the options page and click at the script's name you want to modify. A new tab is opened that shows the script's source code. Click at the "settings" tab (1) to get the *cludes editor shown at the image above.

Now you can select i.e. a entry from the "Original includes" section (2) and add them as exclude by clicking at "Add as User excludes" (3). The entry now appears at the "user excludes" section (5) and the script will not run at this page anymore.
If you want to make a script run at a page it originally shouldn't you have to use the "Original excludes" section (4). Again select a entry, click a the button bellow the section and the entry will appear at "User includes".

You can also add, edit or remove entries that are manually added by using the buttons (6) below the according User section ("User includes", "User matches" and "User excludes")
If you want to override the orginal includes completely just uncheck the checkbox (7) in front of the according heading. For example you have to uncheck "Original includes" if you want to disable the directive "htt*://*facebook.com/*".

Q104: What is the @user-agent tag for and how does it work?

A104:Sometimes pages use a string that is sent by your browser to determine the layout or feature set that will be show to you. For example if you using Chrome on Linux it is almost impossible to sell an item on eBay cause it is not possible to upload images. So what can TM do for you now?
Just install this script that overwrites your user-agent string to look like a Windows Chrome and everything will be working fine again:

ImageImage
// ==UserScript==
// @name       UA | eBay
// @namespace  http://ebay.de/
// @version    0.1
// @description  enter something useful
// @match       *://*.ebay.tld/*
// @user-agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1284.0 Safari/537.13
// @copyright  2011+, You
// ==/UserScript==
This screen shots show the eBay page one time with this script running and without:
Note: you can get user-agent strings and test your settings here: http://www.useragentstring.com/ and http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php

Chrome Extension

Q200: Is it possible to install scripts as native Chrome extension even though Tampermonkey is installed?

A200:Yes it is. If you want to install a script just click at the install link. TM now asks you whether to install the script in TM or native in Chrome.

Q201: Is Tampermonkey compatible to NotScripts?

A201:Yes it is, but due to the fact that NotScripts destroys the whole javascript environment at the page context you have to either allow embedded scripts at every page a userscript should run on or add an options to the NotScripts configuration file. This can be done by simply adding the following code to CHANGE__PASSWORD__HERE.js.
const BLOCKING_MODE = "WHITELIST_ALLOW_TOP_LEVEL";

You can find more information here.

Q202: Tampermonkey missing, there is no icon and no script is running. Where are my scripts and what happened?

A202:
In order to show native userscripts at the options page Tampermonkey's permissions have changed to include the "management" permission.
Chrome automatically disables extensions that need more permissions after an update, but show a bar like this:

To re-enable Tampermonkey do the following steps:
  • Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
  • Select "Tools".
  • Select "Extensions".
  • On the Extensions page, click Enable for Tampermonkey to re-enable it

Now a dialog like this should appear and you can double check the new permissions.

Q203: Tampermonkey extension shows a warning. Why?

A203:

TM checks whether HTTP headers like "user-agent" or "referer" can be modified by userscripts. If now another extension like a user agent spoofer or an script blocker like ScriptNo modifies this request too the warning is displayed. This should not occur that often when the option "Allow HTTP headers to be modified by scripts" is set to "Yes" (Default) or even never if it is set to "No"

Security

Q300: Tampermonkey can access every page that I visit! Is TM evil?

A300:...like any other chrome extension that has https and http access!

This includes extensions like AdBlock, NotScripts, Smooth Gestures and due to the fact that it is not displayed explicitly when they are downloaded, any Userscript that is installed as native Chrome extension.

If you're interested in this, you can find the access information a the right column of every extension at the Chrome store by searching for "This extension can access".

Tampermonkey needs to be able to run at every page, cause I don't know at what pages your userscripts will run and therefore TM must be able to inject them at every page.

But you're right, userscripts and extensions can harm your privacy and your computer. But I think more evil is that Chrome does not display at what pages a userscript wants to run on when installing it natively. From this point of view TM even can bring you some security back. At least if you believe me, that I'm not interested in any of your data. If not you can open the console (Ctrl-Shift-J) and choose the network tab to investigate what network communication is done. :)

Advanced

Q400: I want to edit/view the values stored by a userscript. How can I do that?

A400:Right-Click at the TM icon and choose "Manage Extensions", enable the Developer Mode if not already done and search for the Tampermonkey entry. Click at the "background.html" link and choose "Resources". Now there is a tree view at the left side, choose "Databases", "tmStorage" and "config". Now all config entries will be displayed.

You can alter them by clicking at "tmStorage" again and typing some SQL commands at the right part of the window.
Some useful commands:

'DROP TABLE config' - removes all data and resets TM to factory defaults
'SELECT * FROM config' - show all rows
'SELECT * FROM config WHERE name LIKE "TamperScript"' - shows tamperscript config entry

Q401: Facebook is painful slow. What can I do?

A401:This is a known issue caused by the iframe support of TM (and by the way Greasemonkey too ;)). To avoid TM to check and most probably run scripts at unwished iframes just goto to this page http://userscripts.org/guides/395, say "thank you" to the authors ;) and copy the RegExpr version to your clipboard. Then open the TM options page, goto "Settings" and paste the list to the "Forbidden Pages" text area.

Q402: I want to use an external editor to edit my scripts. How can this be done?

A402:Please take a look at the tutorials section to learn how to achieve this: http://forum.tampermonkey.net/viewtopic.php?p=1832#p1832

Support Development

Q500: XYZ is my native language. How can I translate TM to XYZ?

A500:Thanks! :) This is pretty easy.
You can either get the engligh language file from here:
http://code.google.com/p/tampermonkey/source/browse/trunk/i18n/en/messages.json

or you can use this way to get the latest language related source:
Please install the latest TM version and take a look at your chrome profile folder.

C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions (Windows)
~/.config/chromium/Default/Extensions (Linux - replace chromium with google chrome if necessary)

Enter the folder that has "dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo" in its name and enter the folder that is named according to TM's version too.
Now you can see a folder "_locales".

More information how internationalization of extensions works can be found here:
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/i18n.html

Please translate the file "messages.json" and send it to me. If you attach an additional file called "about.txt" it will be delivered from now on with the extension.

Q501: My native language is already supported and I have no idea how to write javascripts. How can I support you ?

A501:You can test TM and report bugs or just donate a small amount here. :)

Debugging

Q600: Ahhh, someone wants my console output. Where can if find that?

A600:There are 3 different kinds of consoles in TM.
  • First the background page console. The background page is the main part of TM. You can get the output this way:
    right click at the TM icon and choose "Manage Extensions", enable the Developer Mode if not already done and search for the Tampermonkey entry. Click at the "background.html" link and choose "Console".
  • The second one is the option page console. You can open it this way: right click at the TM icon and choose "Options". At the new tab press "Ctrl-Shift-J" and choose "Console".
  • Last but not least every web page has a console. This one can be opened by "Ctrl-Shift-J" when viewing the page.

tbc... :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]